Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Holmer Green FC app


First Team - Match centre

Holmer Green FC
Fairford Town
Sat 1 Dec 15:00 - League Full time Attendance 57

Fairford become first side to complete double over The Greens this season


Late disaster costs Holmer deserved point

The visitors became the first side from Gloucestershire to do a league double over The Greens in any one season. And if The Greens don’t stop finding ways of giving away points by seemingly new methods on a regular basis, they will not be the last?
Missing Lewis Workman and Pawel Kotwica, Holmer welcomed back Dean Powles up front for his first start since August. Powles was soon in action heading a Gary Lines corner-kick narrowly wide. But on 16 minutes an aggressive visiting midfielder who had already clattered home ‘keeper Aaron Brown at a corner, repeated the unnecessary assault. This time on Powles’ chin. A caution was correctly administered, but Powles was unable to carry on, being replaced by Jamie Britnell. As a fairly open but uneventful half drew to a close, Britnell has a good chance but dragged his shot wide. In stoppage time Curtis Stone went really close from a free-kick. His effort beat the ‘keepers dive, but came back into central play off the left upright. HT 0-0
The visitors took the lead before most of the spectators had regained their places on 47 minutes. A speculative shot was well-placed, but most were surprised that Brown was unable to keep it from creeping just inside the same post that had denied Stone earlier. Fairford almost let Holmer back into the game immediately, but James Burrell was unable to capitalise on the loose ball. On the hour Town missed a sitter in front of goal, and this encouraged Holmer. On 67 minutes a Dan Hunt run created an opportunity for Joffy Cox, but the Fairford ‘keeper got down well. Five minutes later a Hunt header almost got Alex Riley in, but the visitors’ defence crowded him out. The same player brought another good low save from the ‘keeper a minute later. After Riley had then gone close with a volley, The Greens gained parity on 77 minutes. A Stone left-wing corner was swept into the visitors’ goal from 12 yards by Britnell. The next ten minutes saw Holmer ratchet up their efforts, but then proceed to throw even a point away with some loose play. With 87 minutes gone they contrived to give a Fairford player the ball, just in his own half but unmarked. At the same time as Brown was stranded well away from his goal. The ball was despatched loftily towards the empty net. Brown’s body language, as he set off for his goal-area, seemed to indicate that the ball would drift wide. But with the ‘keeper agonisingly just failing to get back in time, the ball nestled just inside the right-hand post for the winning goal.

Team: Brown, Zach Crawford, Michael Duffy, Stone, Dean Munday, Hunt, Burrell, Lines ©, Powles, Cox, Riley.
Substitutes Used: Britnell, Mason Scott & Anthony Tyson.
Substitute Not Used: Ryan Parsons.

The positives are that the team had put up a very much better performance than that away to the visitors six weeks ago. On the down side yet more points were allowed to drift away, a trait that very few other teams at this level seem to have.

Team: Brown, Zach Crawford, Michael Duffy, Stone, Dean Munday, Hunt, Burrell, Lines ©, Powles, Cox, Riley.
Substitutes Used: Britnell, & Mason Scott.
Substitutes Not Used: Anthony Tyson, & Ryan Parsons.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors